Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Unthanksgiving

 I do not know what title to put on this post as I have no idea what I'm going to write about. Usually I put a title on a post before I begin scribbling in hopes that it will suggest what topic to write about. Sometimes I revise the title after I conclude but some most times what I end up writing works its way around to relating to the title in some way, even if in an obscure metaphoric reference.

I find myself approaching the Thanksgiving holiday. Yesterday my mind wondered if we shouldn't institute a counter holiday to Thanksgiving, one where we 'celebrate' all the things for which we are unthankful. I realized that for most of us, on most days, this would include almost everything, not because our lives our so dismal but because we tend to take all life's pleasures for granted. No, my idea of an Unthanksgiving would focus on all the things we truly hate and despise. Creating such a holiday would add a sort of balance to our holiday calendar. We could curse everything from hemorrhoids to hunger: from Brussel sprouts to bloodshed. On this day way we could concentrate our psychs not on thanking our gods for these things but rather on focusing on humanly destroying them. 

You see, I did come up with a Title for this post after all! Thank god!

1 comment:

Jim & Sue said...

Now you have done it. I have started making my unthankful list and it is rather long already. I better hide it from Santa. Should I be concerned that this list is so easy to make? Since I will be spending Thanksgiving Day alone, I plan to eat pizza and drink wine. I may need to revise my menu since those are two things I am thankful for.