Thursday, November 11, 2021

Contemplation, Dreams

 Usually my mind is rather meditative while I sit waiting for the sun to slice an oozing gash through the nights darkness but it but such peace eludes it today. Usually I drift off into cohesive thought of one subject or at least a train of thoughts coupled into a linear or at least a parabolic curve. This morning my thoughts are a more jumbled wreck of train coaches piled in a knarl. Perhaps I should not attempt to write anything but sometimes the act of scribbling letters into words untangle my mind.

My nights slumber was interrupted by multiple dreams. None were especially wonderful, scary or enlightening but all vivid enough to roust me. Dreams, the ancients and even some moderns place great importance on them. Freud thought of them as windows into the subconscious while others see them as windows into the future. I think they are just the buzzing of neurons that refuse to take a break, rehashing events, emotions and senses from the previous day and years. I find it interesting that we define at least two meanings to the word "dreams"; one being the thoughts occurring while in slumber, and one being that which we hope for the future. It seems both are required to be human. 


1 comment:

Jim & Sue said...

Okay, now I have gone all the way to the beginning of this month and have read all the blogs I missed. Every entry deserves thoughtful comments. In the future I will try to interact better than I have done tonight. Your poem piece was powerful. I enjoyed the playfulness of your "Nonexistence" paradox.