Sunday, October 04, 2020

Focus, WRITE

 My mind woke up screaming today. I mentioned it in my previous post. I've been trying to slow it all morning with no success. Trying to focus on one task, one train of thought, only to be side tracked in another direction moments or minutes later. I must write.

Writing forces me to focus on the words at hand; on the mechanics of typing; on the grammar and punctuation of putting thoughts in a lineare progression. I think writing, and reading, is more therapeutic than speaking and listening. Perhaps that is why I have taken up blogging at this time.

Corvid-19 has effected me along with everyone I know. It is effecting all while infecting few. Social distancing has greatly reduce my face-face interaction with other humans. This has left my brain with little to do but to think. It has much more time to "free wheel" as I like to call it. My mind enjoys free-wheeling. I often think people should allow their minds to free-wheel more often. I think it is a fundemental need of the human brain to break the bonds of everyday mundane activity and to turn inward and bounce around inside its empty skull for a bit. However, too much free-wheeling also defines Attention Deficit Disorder and I think writing forces focus and counters this tendency.

Speaking and listening also force focus a bit. However, with its free flowing current constantly changing direction at every obstacle and twist, it more resembles the free-wheeling mind. Conversations never stay on target for more than a few minutes before taking aim at a new horizon. I, like most people, enjoy a good conversation, it gives fodder for my brain to bounce around in my skull during its free-wheeling time. However, in excess, its transience can leave me a bit unsettled.

So many thoughts, ideas, feelings, all screaming to escape their space and time. Like individual beings all wanting to be recognized and announced to the universe. Writing gives them some measure of permanence even if its just an illusion. Permeance is an endangered species in todays world, if it ever really existed. Thus I write; striving for some kind of eternal life despite knowing that no such thing exists.

No comments: