Monday, January 24, 2022

Healy Alaska, Otto Lake exhaled

 The trip down here was uneventful except for about the last 20 miles when the predicted wind arrived a couple hours early. The temperature was warm, too warm. Last night it really started rocking and rolling and by daybreak it has become apparent that the Inn's roof has started to come apart. The few pauses between gusts only serve to set my teeth on end awaiting the inevitable next screeching blast to be exhaled from the surrounding mountains. 

Last night was actually quite pleasant despite the wind. I cooked a T-bone on a Treager wood pellet grill located in a sheltered area and enjoyed a meal of steak, baked potatoes and garden salad with my beautiful mistress while sipping a wonderful merlot. Later the earth moved and I didn't even need to expend much energy to make it do so. The breath from the mountain did most of the work for me! 

Long before dawn our slumber was disrupted by the screech of metal being torn from the roof. The fury outside only grows more angry. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in a wooden sailing vessel on the open ocean in winds like these. The men who came before me must have had testicles of steel!

1 comment:

Jim & Sue said...

I am glad you recorded some of this adventure. I am hoping you will have more to write about this adventure.