Monday, September 14, 2020

The Last Days

 It has been many suns since I last wrote on this blog;too many perhaps. Its been so long that I forget exactly how to use this media. I would swear I have made other posts, perhaps on other blogs that I created but I cannot find any of them in this digital ocean. Perhaps they will turn up among the flotsam of my life.

Yesterday I took a hike to visit the tors of Angel Rocks. Being a Sunday, and one of the few recent days where the sun poked through the gray shroud of clouds, there were many other humans paying tribute to these ancient granite gods of the past. Families with tag-along kids, youth groups of rutting adolescents with beleaguered adult leaders trying to keep them corralled the confines of "mature" expectations. An endeavor that is about as likely of success as stopping earth from spinning or keeping one's body from growing older. 

Initially disappointed at seeing so many other humans gathered at the trailhead I waited to initiate my hike. However quickly my mind slipped into being happy that so many of my kind were also out to enjoy this beautiful day of sunshine. Young people, old people and every age between, forgoing the comfort of cell phones, television screens and pre-winter chores in order to bask in the beauty of this planet for what little time we have left.

Perhaps the title of this post is influenced by my current reading of Craig Childs book, Apocalyptic Planet.  While not necessarily a favorite book of mine, it certainly as got me thinking about geologic time and our and my insignificance in the universe. Do we have any purpose as individuals, as societies, as species or even as a planet? It seems to me that we're just flotsam bobbing on the ripples of the ocean of time.

No comments: