Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Mighty Warrior is Born

This post announces the arrival of my first grandson, Koa Ikiiki Bachert (pronounced Koah E-ki-kah). The name means "Mighty Warrior" in Hawaiian. My son and his wife decided on this name over the last couple of weeks while battling to keep him from arriving too soon. The following is the message I sent to my family announcing Koa's birth:

Sue,Dad, and Fellow Soldiers,

My little "Mighty Warrior" announced his entrance into this world at about 7PM Feb. 15 with a tiny warrior cry. He weighed in at a light but sinewy 1pound 5 oz and is lighting the NICU at Providence Hospital with his rosy pink skin. He was taken by C-section from his mommy's tummy and mom is a bit sore but doing OK. Jeremiah told me that he is a foot to a foot and a half tall and that his entire hand only covers the tip of Jeremiah's thumb.

Koa has all his parts, and is breathing on his own, but they have him on a ventilator because his tiny lungs can not provide enough oxygen for his strapping warrior muscles yet. He has a formable war to fight ahead of him but he is at least the proud victor in his first battles. He is a seasoned warrior despite being drafted into life only 23 weeks ago (2 days shy of 24, but you know how the military calculates things) The next 3 days will be very crucial.

Cindy flew down to Anchorage this evening in order to fight by his side and all of us are calling in "fighter support" from the heavens above.

I am just overjoyed that I had the chance to congratulate my son on becoming a father. I can't know how long my joy will last so I am concentrating on enjoying it for each and every moment that I have it....Something that I think we all should learn to do while floating this miraculous river of life. Turbulence may lie ahead but it makes no sense to waste the serenity of moment in worry.

Will send more info as I get it and JB says he will send pictures as soon as he has a chance to log on thru the hospitals internet connection. Until then,,,smother your little ones in kisses and arm them with the ammunition of LOVE.

Tom

3 comments:

Rachel_Bachert said...

Dad---its Koa not Kola..lol that poor kid i can see it know " hay coca cola, come here..." and i cant raz you on the middle name cause im not sure if/how to spell it any way.
love you
Rachel

Alaska said...

ak_angel,
I noticed this typo this morning and have corrected it and re-sent my emails pointing out the mistake. I knew it was Koa but for some reason gooffed it up anyway...probably was to tired to write properly last night...either that or I am just a dumb American who has heard too many commercials for Coke.

Anonymous said...

hello this is Koa Ikaika Bachert's dad it is funny that little Koa's Grandpa and Aunt cant spell his name. but that's ok it will just be an addition to his baby book. love you guys
proud dad of Koa IKAIKA Bachert